What Happens If a Dog Eats Epsom Salt?


If you’re a dog parent, you know how curious our furry friends can be.

They have a knack for getting into things they shouldn’t, and sometimes that includes ingesting substances that are harmful to them. One such substance is Epsom salt.

In this blog post, we will explore what happens if a dog eats Epsom salt and what you should do if this unfortunate situation occurs.

What is Epsom Salt?

Epsom salt, also known as magnesium sulfate, is a naturally occurring mineral compound. It is often used in bath salts, foot soaks, and as a laxative for humans.

Epsom salt has various health benefits, including muscle relaxation and soothing skin conditions. However, it is important to note that Epsom salt is not safe for dogs to consume.

Why is Epsom Salt Dangerous for Dogs?

While Epsom salt is generally safe for humans when used as directed, it can be toxic to dogs. The main reason for this is the high magnesium content in Epsom salt.

Dogs have different metabolic systems than humans, and their bodies cannot process magnesium as effectively.

When a dog ingests Epsom salt, it can lead to magnesium toxicity, which can have serious consequences.

Symptoms of Epsom Salt Ingestion in Dogs

If your dog has ingested Epsom salt, you may notice the following symptoms:

  1. Vomiting
  2. Diarrhea
  3. Abdominal pain
  4. Lethargy
  5. Loss of appetite
  6. Increased thirst and urination
  7. Muscle tremors or seizures

If you observe any of these symptoms in your dog and suspect Epsom salt ingestion, it is crucial to seek veterinary attention immediately.

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Epsom Salt

If you catch your dog in the act of eating Epsom salt or suspect they have ingested it, here are the steps you should take:

  1. Stay calm: It’s important to remain calm and composed to provide the best care for your dog.
  2. Contact your veterinarian: Call your veterinarian or the nearest emergency veterinary clinic for guidance. They will ask you about your dog’s symptoms and provide further instructions.
  3. Do not induce vomiting: Unlike some other toxins, inducing vomiting may not be recommended in cases of Epsom salt ingestion. Your veterinarian will advise you on the best course of action.
  4. Follow veterinary advice: Your veterinarian may ask you to bring your dog in for an examination or provide specific instructions based on your dog’s condition. It is crucial to follow their advice closely.

Treatment for Epsom Salt Ingestion in Dogs

The treatment for Epsom salt ingestion in dogs will depend on the severity of the symptoms and the amount of salt ingested.

In some cases, your veterinarian may induce vomiting or administer activated charcoal to absorb any remaining toxins in the stomach.

They may also provide supportive care, such as intravenous fluids to prevent dehydration and medications to control symptoms.

Preventing Epsom Salt Ingestion

Prevention is always better than cure. To prevent your dog from ingesting Epsom salt, follow these tips:

  1. Store Epsom salt securely: Keep Epsom salt containers out of your dog’s reach, preferably in a locked cabinet or high shelf.
  2. Clean up spills: If you use Epsom salt for personal use, ensure that you clean up any spills promptly to prevent your dog from licking or ingesting it.
  3. Be cautious with bath products: If you use Epsom salt in your bath or foot soak, be mindful of your dog’s access to the bathroom. Close the door or keep your dog in a separate area while using these products.

By taking these preventive measures, you can reduce the risk of your dog ingesting Epsom salt and potentially facing harmful consequences.


While Epsom salt has its benefits for humans, it can be dangerous for dogs. If your dog ingests Epsom salt, it is essential to seek veterinary attention immediately.

Remember to store Epsom salt securely and be cautious with its use to prevent accidental ingestion by your furry friend. Your dog’s health and well-being should always be a top priority.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can Epsom salt be used on dogs externally?

A: Yes, Epsom salt can be used externally on dogs in certain situations, such as for soothing muscle soreness or treating skin conditions. However, it should never be ingested by dogs.

Q: How much Epsom salt is toxic to dogs?

A: The toxic dose of Epsom salt for dogs can vary depending on their size and overall health. It is best to consult with a veterinarian if you suspect your dog has ingested Epsom salt.

Q: Are there any safe alternatives to Epsom salt for dogs?

A: Yes, there are safe alternatives to Epsom salt for dogs.

If you are looking for a natural remedy for muscle soreness or skin conditions, consult with your veterinarian for appropriate alternatives.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.